Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Book Review: Fantasy! Cartooning by Ben Caldwell

 

Fantasy! Cartooning by Ben Caldwell is another great book with great art, with a focus on fantasy themes. Now is it necessary to get this book after the first one called Action Cartooning?? The truth is it has great illustrations and great tips and personally I'm a fan of his work. But for learning purposes, I don't think it's necessary to own both books.
The first one is better for beginners it has more focus on the basics. However if you are very much interested in fantasy illustration it's a very nice reference and has some great tips as well. 

Now both books are very inexpensive but if you are on a tight budget, just get the first one, it has just more information in it. 

If you want to get better at what you do, focus on your basics. As a great famous disney animator once said (I forgot his name, sorry): It's all sophisticated use of the basics. And trust me when I say there is a whole lot of those basic rules.

Anyway, a general thought on buying those books, check out the artist who wrote it first. If you don't like the art or if you think he may not be able to teach you something new, then get another one. I have bought books that feature mediocre art at best and still had some great advice, but generally this is not the case then.

I do realize that these reviews are very personal :) but I hope that's ok. I love this book, I love his style. The way he exaggerates and simplifies anatomy is just brilliant. Every pose he draws is very dynamic and the characters have a very nice design.
I think one of the main reasons I admire his work is that it combines a deep understanding of anatomy translated into shaped-based design. Now if that's a little hard to process, imagine your favourite disney feature film character mixed with a flash animated TV show character.
The outcome is something that looks edgy and stylized but is at the same time very plausible.

Here's a link to the book: Fantasy! Cartooning Book & Kit

And as always a flip trough:



No comments:

Post a Comment